Monday, June 13, 2011

Almond Strawberry Quick Bread


The Physicist LOVES to garden. Because of this, every summer, we tend to have a LOT of produce. Right now, I'm in the thick of our strawberry season. Last week, he picked about 7 pounds of strawberries. I'm giving them away, having them at every meal, making jams and ice creams to store them. And I'm making Almond Strawberry Quick Bread. I found a recipe online (for Walnut Strawberry Bread), decided I didn't like half the ingredients, changed it around, and made it. Then I decided it had WAY too much sugar! (Strawberries are already sweet, people!) It was like eating candy. So I changed it again, cutting WAY back on the sugar. Now, the bread tastes like strawberries. And you know me, I like things with fruit in them to taste like the fruit. :)

You'll need:
1/2 cup Almond Flour (finely ground almonds if you can't find almond flour, it's the same thing)
1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour

2/3 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Ground Ginger
1 Tbsp. Lemon Zest
2 Eggs
1 1/4 cups Mashed Strawberries (10 oz.)
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour a 9" x 5" bread pan. (I like the Pam Baking for this.)

In a medium bowl whisk together the almond flour, flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Set aside. In a large bowl, mash those strawberries if you haven't already, and then add the zest, eggs, and oil, whisking that all together. Now add your dry to your wet and make sure they're combined. It should be pinkish-purple.

Pour into your bread pan and bake for 55-60 minutes. Don't take it out until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with no goo. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then take it out of the pan and let completely cool on the rack for an hour. Slice and enjoy!



















No comments:

Post a Comment