Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Post Party Mac & Cheese

The Physicist and I just had our Halloween party, and, as usual, still have a fridge full of party food. Which is why I'm blogging about my second greatest invention: Post Party Mac & Cheese! (My first greatest invention is Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies.) With a little forethought, you can be enjoying a giant tray of mac & cheese the week after your party. I usually buy a bunch of cheeses for a party that have bold flavors, but flavors that generally go together. We tend to go for green and orange cheeses for the Halloween party, so I had Munster, Aged Gouda, Wasabi Gouda, Sage Derby, Caramelized Onion Cheddar, and a Goat Cheese. I also had leftover cauliflower and broccoli from my veggie tray. I caramelized some onion I had laying around, and cooked up some leftover bacon.

The Physicist (my personal saucier) made a blond roux, (we'll blog about roux later) added milk, then the goat cheese, and then half of my shredded cheese (we ended up having about a pound!). I boiled up and drained some macaroni noodles, and added the chopped cauliflower and broccoli, the bacon, the caramelized onions, and the remaining cheese. We put the whole thing in a large baking dish, covered it in some panko, and baked it at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. It's a bit of a heart attack waiting to happen, so only have it 2-3 times a year, which is about our average for big parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment