Monday, October 10, 2011

Picadilla - Spanish for Awesomeness

I have a problem with salad dressing. My problem is that salad dressing comes in large bottles. I like a variety of salad dressings, but I don't use large amounts, so I end up with a graveyard of expired, half filled bottles of dressing in my fridge door. My solution is to make my own, and Picadilla is one of my favorites. I first had it at Thanksgiving, when my godmother's daughter brought it. Creamy, garlicky, with the nuttiness of almonds, it was amazing. When I got married, I received the recipe as a shower gift, probably because I had been licking my salad plate at the last several Thanksgivings. Now, I share a version of that recipe with you.


Here's what you'll need:

1/4 cup Blanched Almonds

2 cloves Garlic

1/2 cup Olive Oil

2 tsp. Vinegar

2 tsp. Lemon Juice

Pinch of Salt and Pepper



This is going to be super easy to make. Just watch. Throw the almonds and garlic into a food processor.












Pulse until finely ground. Pour the olive oil in, in three or four parts, pulsing in between pours until fully incorporated.











Add the rest of the ingredients, and pulse until smooth.

That's it. It shouldn't have taken you more than 5 minutes. You now have a Spanish salad dressing that is pure deliciousness. You can put it in an airtight container and store it in the fridge for at least a couple weeks. When using it from the fridge, make sure you leave time for it to reach room temp, because the olive oil sometimes solidifies when chilled. And it's totally okay to lick the plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment